I’m really struggling for time at the moment. I keep knitting a little in the evenings but my usual bottle neck, photographing the finished items (or any item for that matter) and blogging about them is getting an even bigger bottle neck. Still, such is life, I guess. I assume our normal service will resume sooner or later.
In the meantime, my sister asked me to make a fake wasp nest. They have lots of wasps bothering their BBQ times and she’s getting sick of them. Apparently, a fake wasp nest sends the message to any wasps that this place is already taken, bugger off. And, in theory, they should do that. How well this works in practice will be seen later, I guess.
My sister might be a little late though, because the fake wasp nest should go in place before the real wasps make any nests. Apparently, a crumbled up newspaper or stuffed coffee filter bag would do the same job. This crochet nest is a high-end luxury version that will last a bit longer. Years, in fact.
I haven’t knitted any socks for ages. I have one knitting WIP with a deadline coming up, so I thought it was only fitting that I’d go and start something new. Just keeping those stress levels nice and high!
This is a yarn I picked up from a flea market some time ago. The juicy colour caught my eye. The only information provided was ‘yarn’ and the price, ‘€1.50’. So, I’m using ‘yarn’ on these toe-up socks. I’m also, for the first time, testing out my new Addi Sockwonders. They are teeny tiny cable needles with one needle slightly longer than the other. At first go they feel what I could imagine knitting with matchsticks would be like. You need to hold the needles a bit differently from normal. Having reached the start of the heel, I feel fairly comfortable with them and quite like them. I wish I had bought two of them.
Anyway, clock’s ticking, deadline is approaching. Just enjoying these little stolen moments with my juicy socks…
There’s been a jumper taking up space in the wardrobe for years and it never gets worn anymore. It was made by my mother in the mid 90’s and it was quite huge, typical of the times. It was an all over Norwegian pattern and was a real shame that it was never worn anymore. I couldn’t find anyone else to wear it either and I doubt it would have been easy to find a buyer for it. So, I unraveled it. It hurt a bit but my philosophy is to use the stuff one way or other. At least now the jumper gets worn again. It doesn’t look as awesome but it’ll get used.
I used a pattern called Twin River by Drops Design. It was a very nice pattern – I might use it again sometime. I don’t know what this yarn is. My guess is that it’s some kind of wool mix. I did completely random stripes.
I used the leftovers for a hat.
It’s a shame I didn’t take a picture of the original jumper but needless to say this one looks nothing like it.
The original jumper had steeked armholes. Obviously the yarn was cut into short bits. I calmly knotted all the bits randomly and knitted a cushion cover. Knots are hidden inside. Waste not, want not!